Designed for beginner tax preparers, this course will enable you to prepare individual tax returns for the general public, including individual taxpayers who operate sole-proprietor businesses. At the completion of the course, you will be able to complete most individual non-business and small business (self-employed/Schedule C) tax returns and research tax issues.
The course is divided into 4 modules with 5 chapters in each module. It will give you a solid foundation in individual tax preparation, enabling you to complete all of the standard returns.
This course focuses on the majority of tax forms needed to complete tax returns for yourself and the general public. During the course, you should acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to complete federal income tax returns and research tax issues. Two or more tax returns are prepared for most chapters.
Accessible online in the comfort of your own home or office, this course covers the following tax topics:
- Electronic Filing
- W-2 & 1099 Forms
- Form 1040 (1040 EZ/A)
- Interview Techniques
- Filing Requirements
- Filing Status
- Exemptions & Dependents
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Due Diligence
- Child Care & Tax Credits
- Interest & Dividends
- Other Income
- Adjustments to Income
- Itemized Deductions
- Employee Business Expenses
- Sale of Real Estate
- Rental Property
- Capital Gains & Losses
- Education Expenses & Plans
- IRAs & Retirements Plans
- Kiddie Tax
- Tax Saving Ideas
- Same Sex Marriage
- Affordable Care Act
- Tax Law Updates
Quizzes will be given throughout the course, and you must pass each quiz to continue to the next module within the course. A Certificate of Achievement will be issued after all modules have been successfully completed.
Updated for the newest Tax Laws, this course includes the following materials and resources:
- Comprehensive Income Tax Course Manual, by The Income Tax School
- State Income Tax Course Manual
- 15-20 hour state-specific supplement
- Certificate of Achievement upon completion
- Free academic support from veteran tax preparers
- Up to 6 months from your date of registration to complete the course
Also, with the addition of the state supplement, you will learn not only the basics such as forms, filing status, dependents, exemptions and deductions, but also adds taxable and nontaxable state income, credits, adjustments to income, deductions and business income.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Prepare most business and nonbusiness individual tax returns
- Perform a thorough interview with a taxpayer
- Determine a taxpayer's filing status and eligibilty for exemptions
- Accurately report income and deductions for a taxpayer
- Determine a taxpayer's eligibility for credits and deductions
- Compute income for Schedules C, E and F
- Determine depreciation deductions and eligibility for Section 179
- Accurately calculate a taxpayer's refund or balance due
- Advise a taxpayer in tax planning strategies
After ordering, you will receive an email within 1 business day that contains your log-in instructions and access to the course. Your Manual will be shipped to you separately, and should arrive within 3-5 business days.
There are no entrance requirements or educational prerequisites to enroll, so order today!
Note: This course may be taken independently for professional development, may be used to provide the knowledge needed to pass IRS Competency Test, or can be taken in conjunction with other courses to earn the Certified Tax Professional (CTP) designation.