The Certified Tax Specialist™ (CTS™) program is the first of its kind—designed to give the financial advisor the knowledge necessary to provide ways to reduce taxable income. The subject of taxes is commonly viewed as boring and futile. By using real world examples, the CTS™ student is able to quickly understand important concepts and strategies that will serve him or her for life.
Written content for the program is only a couple of hundred pages in length, but everything you need is included. Partnership and corporate taxation are intentionally left out in order to streamline course content and increase retention. The first lesson explains the thinking behind our tax system in order to provide the student with a broader perspective. Next are a series of basic formulas and computations so that the advisor has the necessary grounding to go from the general to the specific.
Next, the program covers the specifics of income taxes, credits, deductions, and exemptions. As a CTS™ student you will see the logic behind these write-offs and be better able to gauge what is best for your clients and investors. There are a number of ways to decrease taxable income and reduce tax liability for your clients. The CTS™ program will show you a process that is both entertaining and informative.
The CTS™ course, exams, and case study highlight what the practitioner faces daily. Whether you are an accountant, advisor, banker, broker, money manager, or planner, you will reap immediate rewards in return for your commitment of time and study. Because the teaching materials are designed to also be used in your daily practice, each program is updated throughout the year.
- The CTS™ program consists of three modules
- Each module takes 23 hours or less to complete
- Materials include all study and exam preparation
- There are three non-cumulative exams and one case study
- Each exam is based on one modules
- Each exam consists of 50 multiple-choice questions
- More than one exam can be taken at a time
- A written case study is required
- The case study is based on a one-page fact pattern provided by IBF
- The case study answer must be two to five pages
- Module I – Filing Status, Gross Income, Business Income, Business Expenses, Itemized Deductions, Tax Credits, Depreciation, and Capital Gains
- Module II – Withholding, LLCs &S Corps, Statute of Limitations, Retirement Plans, Early Distributions and Periodic Payments, Required Distributions, Distributions to Beneficiaries, Roth IRA and Roth 401(k), and Appendix: IRS Distribution Tables
- Module III – Business Filing Status, Long-Term Assets, Employer Concerns, S Corporations, LLCs and QPSCs, Family Businesses, Home Businesses, Fringe Benefits, and Penalties and Interest
Tuition includes registration, tuition, textbooks, review questions, online practice exams, reference sheets, exams, diploma and shipping (overnight shipping available for additional charge).
Textbooks will be shipped to you within 5-7 business days of your paid registration.
Qualifying to Obtain the Certified Tax Specialist™ (CTS™) designation
To view the requirements for the CTS™, please click here.
This program is approved for continuing education (CE) credit to meet a candidate's professional development requirements. Approvals are subject to change, and the student is responsible for confirming the credits approved for a given state or organization.
|About The Provider:
||This course is developed and fulfilled by The Institute of Business & Finance (IBF). After more than 20 years of experience helping more than 15,000 finance professionals earn designations, IBF has developed effective course materials to help you apply core concepts of estate planning to real-life situations.
When you earn an IBF designation, you will gain both theoretical and practical knowledge that can be conveyed to your clients, boosting your credibility and professionalism. As a student, you will have the flexibility to study whenever you like. The expert faculty and staff at IBF are ready to help you earn your certification today.
Fees paid, less shipping, miscellaneous fees and non-refundable processing, are refundable within 30 days of enrollment according to the schedule below, provided no exams have been taken. If one exam has been taken, a 50% refund applies. No refunds are given if more than one exam has been taken.
If the student cancels or withdraws within five days of enrollment, IBF shall issue a refund within five days after IBF receives notice of withdrawal and materials. Otherwise, IBF shall issue a refund within 30 days after IBF receives notice of withdrawal and materials.
*Please note: materials must be returned to IBF in perfect re-sellable condition to be considered for a refund. Materials with markings in them will not be considered for a refund.